Thursday, November 25, 2010

Band Playing Outside of Tokyo Game Show '09




I took this footage directly after leaving the Makuhari Messe building for the Tokyo Game Show 2009, right by the entrance to Kaihin Makuhari station. Since coming to Japan, or perhaps I should say Tokyo, I have noticed that street performances have become a common thing I encounter in my day to day life. I currently live in Shimokitazawa, and previously lived in Koenji, and in both areas a see many regular performances, most often music, by young people on the side of the street.

Having only been in Japan for a few weeks at that time, this was one of the first street performances I remember seeing, and as such, I felt inclined to record the whole thing. I was immediately surprised at how well the band sounded live, having obviously practiced many times they all hit each note without a hitch throughout the entire song. I was also surprised at how good and catchy their music was, though I don’t know whether or not it is an original song or just a cover, I would be quite impressed to know that they wrote it themselves. Even today when I watch the video again, I get the song stuck in my head for awhile. Street performances like this one and the creativity and atmosphere they bring to the city are one of my favorite aspects of living in Tokyo, and I seem to run into them on an almost daily basis, fortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment