Thursday, November 25, 2010

Final Fantasy XIII Launch Day




This is footage I took while waiting for the release of the video game Final Fantasy XIII at Tsutaya in Shibuya in December of 2009. This is, to date, one of my most memorable experiences in Tokyo thus far. I had been anticipating the release of this game for quite awhile, particular because it was going to be released while I was in Japan, and released in the US almost four months later in March, meaning my friends back home would be quite envious of my procurement.

An event for the game’s release was to be held at the Tsutaya in Shibuya with many stars and people related to the game’s development such as Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada attending. Many people line up outside of stores overnight for the release of a game or product, and I decided to do it myself essentially on a whim. The catch was though, that while everyone who waited would get the game, only the first 100 people in line would be allowed into the actual release event. I was number 12 in line I believe. I was also the only foreigner in the line out of what seemed to be hundreds, and I managed to have some conversations with other waiters who were curious if I knew what I was waiting for. In total, I waited in line for about 12 hours.

Inside the event, cameras were strictly prohibited. Because I was one of the first in line, all of the people standing in front of me with cameras were press from video game websites and magazines. Still, I did my best to film the event despite the prohibition, which is why the video angles are not always so great, because I was trying to conceal my camera from view. In fact, after looking online, the footage I took of the event is the only amateur footage of that event that exists, and as such has gotten thousands of views on my youtube page. After I bought the game and walked out, I was rushed by English speaking video game press to do interviews, because I was the only foreigner who attended, which I gladly did. All in all it was a great experience, and one which I am not soon to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment